Authorities in central Illinois say an inmate died after mixing prescription drugs apparently intended to make him sleep as long as possible during his weekend in the Tazewell County jail.
A Tazewell County coroner's jury determined the death of 23-year-old Mitchell Woods was an accidental overdose.
Woods was found dead in April in his jail dorm bed. He was serving a 30-weekend sentence for aggravated battery, domestic battery and criminal damage to property.
Sheriff's Department investigator Eric Goeken testified it's "common knowledge" that some inmates sentenced to spend their weekends in the Tazewell County jail arrive freshly drugged so they can sleep away their time behind bars.
It isn't clear when Woods took the methadone and anti-depressant found in his blood.