Local News

Social Security Benefits and Taxes

Tax season is upon us and Social Security has some reminders for those who receive benefits.


Jack Myers with Social Security indicates you may have to pay federal income tax on Social Security benefits. Whether or not you do depends on your combined income. Your Combined income includes your adjusted gross income plus your nontaxable interest plus half of your Social Security benefits.



Myers lays out the thresholds for income based on your marital status and the percentage of your benefits that are taxable. 



If you are married and file a separate tax return you probably will pay taxes on your benefits. Myers explains if you received SS benefits in 2023, you should have gotten an SSA-1099 in January.



Federal tax withholding from Social Security benefits is voluntary.

Myers points out if you choose voluntary tax withholding, the IRS allows Social Security to withhold at either 7%, 10%, 12%, or 22%. If you choose voluntary tax withholding, the SSA-1099 that we send to you - and the IRS - will reflect the amount that was withheld throughout the year.



If you’ve misplaced your 1099 or don’t recall getting it, you can get a replacement through your mySocialSecurity account www.ssa.gov/myaccount. 


You can request a W-3V form by completing a form W-4V which is available in the forms section of our website www.ssa.gov/forms. You can also call 1-800-772-1213 or visit an office to request a W-4V. 

Townhall Top of the Hour News

Local Weather - Sponsored By:


Local News

DeWittDN on Facebook