Local News

Social Security Highlights Changes in Overpayment Policy

Social Security announced some changes to how Social Security collects overpayment and options that people have if they get overpaid.


If you are overpaid, you will receive an overpayment notice and you will have a few options. On the WHOW Morning Show Thursday, Jack Myers at Social Security told Regional Radio you can repay the overpayment. If you agree with the overpayment and are currently receiving benefits you can make payment through monthly benefit withholding, or a repayment plan.  If you are not currently receiving benefits you can make full or partial payments using www.pay.gov, your bank’s online bill pay option, or writing a check. 



If you do not respond to an overpayment notice, the default withholding will be 10% of their benefit instead of 100% as it has been in the past. Myers notes this will be similar to the way SSI overpayments are collected.



Even with an SSA-634 and proof of your income and expenses, the lowest repayment plan we can approve is $10 per month. According to Myers, Social Security does not charge interest on overpayment debt. If you disagree with the facts of the overpayment or believe the amount is incorrect you can request a review of the decision.



If you believe you did not cause the overpayment, the overpayment is unfair, or you can’t afford to repay the overpayment, you can request to relieve some or all of the amount due.



You can visit or call your local Social Security office or 1-800-772-1213.


There's much more to consider on this topic and we'll have more on that next week on Regional Radio. 

Townhall Top of the Hour News

Local Weather - Sponsored By:


Local News

DeWittDN on Facebook