Richard Harold Johnson, 95, of Maroa, passed away 10:05 a.m. Wednesday (Aug. 31, 2016) at Decatur Memorial Hospital.

His service will be 11 a.m. Monday at Calvert Funeral Home, Clinton, with Pastor Nic Showalter officiating. Burial will follow at Mausoleum Park Cemetery, Clinton, with military honors. Visitation will be 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.

Memorials may be directed to Maroa United Methodist Church.


Harold was born Sept. 19, 1920, in Birkbeck, the son of William and Nora (Brighton) Johnson. He married Ada Lorine Jenkins on Aug. 11, 1946, in Clinton. She passed away Oct. 22, 2002.

Survivors include his children, Stephen R. (Patricia) Johnson, Maroa; Margo Ann Mosley, Taylorsville, N.C.; Louis I. (Theresa E.) Johnson, Sullivan; six grandchildren, Christina (Brian) Wehmeier, Katie (Erick) Mosley-Wilfong, Megan Mosley, Eric (Sally) Johnson, and Travis and Cody Johnson; four great-grandsons, Justin Mosley, Ethan and Henry Johnson, and Liam Wehmeier; one great-granddaughter, McKinley Wehmeier; two stepgrandchildren, Georgia Shultz and Charles Halstead II; two stepgreat-grandchildren, Robert and Rebecca Shultz; three stepgreat-great-grandchildren, Rebella Lessen and Logan and Cameron Shultz; sister, Betty Church, Peoria; nieces, Susan Singer and Louise Ditty; and nephews, Zach Church and Tom Lacy.

He was preceded in death by his parents; one grandson, Patrick Clay Johnson; one stepgrandson, Scott Patrick Halstead, and sister, Marion Lacy.

Harold was a member of Maroa United Methodist Church, Lions Club, American Legion, VFW, Masonic Lodge 464 and Macon County Farm Bureau.

He graduated from Maroa Community High School and the University of Illinois. Because of his ROTC training, he was ordered to active duty at Fort Knox, Ky. Harold became part of the World War II invasion of Europe and served in a tank unit under Gen. George Patton.


After the war was over, he taught vocational agriculture at Sidney for three years. In 1949, Harold began farming in central Illinois, raising grain and Angus cattle, retiring in 1991.

While teaching and farming, he served in the Army Reserves. Harold served as commander of the artillery unit in Decatur from 1955 to 1965. He retired from military service as a colonel in 1974. Harold went on the Honor Flight to Washington, D.C., in 2010.

The family would like to thank the staff at Keystone Meadows for the past five years and the DMH staff during his recent stay.

Condolences may be made at


Local Weather - Sponsored By:
Townhall Top of the Hour News


SRN News