Gov. Pat Quinn is responding to a newspaper's investigation about allegations of assaults, abuse and prostitution schemes at Illinois residential treatment centers for youth.
Quinn on Monday directed an advisory council to meet Thursday to assess the situation. He named Dr. Robert R. Bloom as an adviser to the Children and Family Services Advisory Council.
The Chicago Tribune's ongoing investigation focuses on taxpayer-funded residential centers for disadvantaged youth.
The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services previously said it has imposed an "intake hold" on two of the troubled centers in Chicago, meaning it won't place juveniles in them for now. The department is caretaker to approximately 1,300 young people in residential facilities. Department officials on Monday said they will work with the advisory council and others to improve services.