LEAF PICKUP: CITY CREWS WILL START IN ZONE 5 TODAY.          
Local Sports
Major League Baseball and Rawlings on Tuesday announced the winners of the 2017 Gold Glove Awards. The Gold Gloves of course recognize defensive excellence at each position and in each league. 
By way of reminder, Gold Gloves are voted on by managers and coaches around the league, although they are not allowed to vote for their own players. There's also a statistical component that helps determine the winners. The coach/manager vote makes up 75 percent of the formula, and those advanced metrics make up the remaining 25 percent. Here are the finalists for the 2017 Gold Gloves.
 
CATCHER
 
American League - Martin Maldonado, Angels (1)
National League - Tucker Barnhart, Reds (1)
 
FIRST BASE
 
AL - Eric Hosmer, Royals (4)
NL - Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks (3)
 
SECOND BASE
 
AL - Brian Dozier, Twins (1)
NL - DJ LeMahieu, Rockies (2)
 
SHORTSTOP
 
AL - Andrelton Simmons, Angels (3)
NL - Brandon Crawford, Giants (3)
 
THIRD BASE
 
AL - Evan Longoria, Rays (3)
NL - Nolan Arenado, Rockies (5)
 
LEFT FIELD
 
AL - Alex Gordon, Royals (5)
NL - Marcell Ozuna, Marlins (1)
 
CENTER FIELD
 
AL - Byron Buxton, Twins (1)
NL - Ender Inciarte, Braves (2)
 
RIGHT FIELD
 
AL - Mookie Betts, Red Sox (2)
NL - Jason Heyward, Cubs (5)
 
PITCHER
 
AL - Marcus Stroman, Blue Jays (1)
NL - Zack Greinke, Diamondbacks (4)
 
>>Retired Cy Young Winner, Roy Halladay, Dies At 40 in Plane Crash
 
Police have confirmed that ex-Major League pitcher Roy Halladay, 40, died in a plane crash on Tuesday afternoon in the Gulf of Mexico.
 
The Pasco Sheriff's Office announced in a press conference on Tuesday that Halladay was the only person aboard his two-passenger aircraft that was discovered just off the coast of Holiday, Fla. 
 
Halladay spent parts of 16 seasons in the majors with the Blue Jays (12 years) and Phillies (four). He was 203-105 with a 3.38 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 2,117 strikeouts in 2,749 1/3 innings. The eight-time All-Star won the Cy Young in both leagues, taking it in 2003 for the Blue Jays and 2010 for the Phillies. He also threw a no-hitter in his first career postseason start in Game 1 of the 2010 NLDS vs. the Reds. He also threw the 20th perfect game in regular season history. 
 
After having retired following the 2013 season, Halladay will first be on the ballot for the 2019 Hall of Fame class.

Local Weather