Local News

Pekin Woman Killed By Fire Started By Cigarette

A woman who ignited a fire at a central Illinois nursing home when she fell asleep while smoking has died.

68-year-old Barbara Harris of Pekin died Wednesday at a Springfield hospital due to injuries suffered in the June 25 fire. Harris was badly burned in the blaze.

Fire officials say Harris fell asleep while smoking in a chair in her room at the UAW Senior Citizens Center. She was using an oxygen tank at the time, and the oxygen accelerated the flames.

An overhead sprinkler doused the fire.

Pekin is just south of Peoria.

Townhall Top of the Hour News

Local Weather - Sponsored By:


Local News

DeWittDN on Facebook