The Clinton Fire Department responded to a house fire this Tuesday morning at 321 South Walnut Street
in Clinton just before 2 am.
Clinton Fire Chief Shawn Milton says prior to the arrival of the Fire Department, they were told
a man was trapped in the home. Upon their arrival, they entered through a bedroom window and
pulled the elderly man out.
Chief Milton says the fire was contained mostly to the kitchen of the home, which is all but
destroyed. He says other parts of the house are now either heat or smoke damaged.
Chief Milton says one of the men at the house had left the stove unattended with oil cooking.
The Chief says the house was shut up for the winter months, and the home became very hot,
Chief Milton says 30 firefighters from Clinton, Wapella, and Kenney were on scene for about 3
The fire claimed the life of 87-year old Douglass Fleming of Clinton. DeWitt County Coroner Randy Rice said an autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday, at which time they will know the official cause of death.