>>Matheny: Saturday Starter Could Come Via Trade
(San Diego, CA) -- Cardinals manager Mike Matheny stated yesterday that their starting pitcher for Saturday's game against the Brewers could be somebody who isn't on the roster. While the club is tossing around the options of calling up a player from the minors and dipping into their bullpen, Matheny said that it all comes down to if anything happens externally. St. Louis has previously expressed interest in trading for Tampa Bay southpaw David Price before tomorrow's trade deadline. The Cards have also been linked to the Phillies' Cole Hamels and the Red Sox' Jon Lester.
>>Lester Scratched From Wednesday Start
(Boston, MA) -- With trade rumors mounting, the Boston Red Sox are keeping left-hander Jon Lester off the mound. The Sox have scratched Lester from his scheduled start on Wednesday and say that Brandon Workman will pitch instead. The move means that Lester is now more likely to be traded prior to Thursday's non-waiver deadline. ESPN Boston reports that the Dodgers, Cardinals, Pirates, Blue Jays, Orioles and Athletics are finalists to land Lester.
>>Lester Agent Denies Report About Contract Demands
(Boston, MA) -- The agent for Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester is denying that trade talks for his client have been fueled by high contract demands. The "Boston Globe" reports the team was informed of what it would take to sign the pending free agent and that led to the Red Sox seeking trade offers. Lester's agent says that is not true and that talks with the Red Sox remain confidential. The 30-year-old left-hander is reportedly seeking a market-competitive offer of between 22 and 24-million-dollars per season. ESPN Boston reports the Dodgers, Cardinals, Pirates, Blue Jays, Orioles and Athletics are still in on trying to acquire Lester prior to tomorrow's non-waiver trade deadline.
Lester is 10-and-7 with a 2.52 ERA this season. He's was scheduled to start tonight against the Toronto Blue Jays but was scratched amid all the rumors. Instead, Brandon Workman will be called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to make the start.
>>Trade Winds Could Blow Toward Cubs
(Chicago, IL) -- With the non-waiver trade deadline approaching, trade winds are swirling around the Cubs. General manager Jed Hoyer says moves will start going down today, ahead of tomorrow's 3:00 p.m. deadline. Emilio Bonifacio is rumored to be in high-demand from other teams.
>>Dodgers Announce Scully Will Return In 2015
(Los Angeles, CA) -- The legendary voice of Vin Scully will return to Dodgers broadcasts next season. The team made the announcement Tuesday. Scully will be returning for his 66th season of calling games for the franchise. The 86-year-old has been with the team since its days in Brooklyn. Scully has called three perfect games and 19 no-hitters, including Clayton Kershaw's earlier this season.
>>TWC Bends In Hopes Of Expanding Dodgers Coverage
(Los Angeles, CA) -- Time Warner Cable says it is willing to let an arbitrator set a fair price for SportsNet LA in an effort to resolve its current dispute with DirecTV and other pay-for-TV providers. The network has released a statement saying six congressmen led by Representative Brad Sherman sent a letter suggesting the move to DirecTV. An agreement on DirecTV's part would allow for a wider range of broadcasts of Los Angeles Dodgers games to be shown on SportsNet LA, which is owned by the team. The "Los Angeles Times" reports that DirecTV doesn't appear interested in entering arbitration at this time.
>>TV Dispute Between Nationals, O's Escalates
(Undated) -- The ongoing drama over television revenue between the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals is heating up. The "Hollywood Reporter" reports that an arbitration panel has ruled in favor of the Nationals in the battle over the rights fees from the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network. In 2012, the Nats were to have started receiving a larger piece of the revenue from MASN, which is controlled by Orioles owner Peter Angelos. The O's and MASN have still yet to pay the extra revenue, which is an increase on the original deal struck when the Nationals moved from Montreal and into the region in 2005.
The report indicates that MLB Commissioner Bud Selig recently wrote to both clubs warning of "the most severe sanctions" if a lawsuit comes about between the teams. There's no indication that the Orioles or Nationals have plans to back down in the disagreement. The Orioles issued a statement to NBC Sports Tuesday saying that MASN was established to compensate them for damages caused by the relocation of the Nationals. The team added that it was continuing to work with the Office of the Commissioner to resolve the issue.