Visiting friends and families around the holidays is certainly a highlight, but parents need to be careful when taking kids into a home that might not be child-proof. Doctor Elaine Schulte [[ SHULL-tee ]] with the Cleveland Clinic says it's important to survey the room for hazards.
Doctor Schulte says it's crucial to maintain a normal routine for children, even during the holidays.
Doctor Schulte adds that anything that's shiny and bright will be a magnet for small children and could be a hazard. Small toys, buttons, batteries or even potpourri could be a choking hazard. When visiting an older person's home, it's important to make sure medicines and cleaning supplies are put away and out of the reach of children.