A fire in Clinton Sunday afternoon claimed the life of a 52-year old Clinton man.
52-year old Scott Miller of Clinton was pronounced dead just before 2 pm on Sunday at the Dr. John Warner Hospital. Clinton Fire Chief Shawn Milton indicates crews were dispatched to 925 North George Street in Clinton just before 1 pm Sunday afternoon. Upon arrival they found part of the home with heavy smoke but no fire. He says they were able to quickly extinguish the fire.
The only smoke detector in the home did not have a battery. The Chief sends his condolences to the family and hopes residents will use this tragedy to heed the advice he gives frequently. Chief Milton notes fire alarms are proven to save lives.
An autopsy on Miller will be performed according to DeWitt County Coroner Randy Rice. Rice's office, the Clinton Police Department, State Of Illinois Fire Marshall and Illinois State Police are investigating the fire. Chief Milton indicates they do not believe the fire to be intentional.
Chief Milton encourages residents who may not be able to afford smoke detectors to contact the Fire Department. They issue at least two devices per household free of charge.