Local News

More than 8 million people who get monthly Social Security or SSI benefits need help managing their money. If this sounds familiar, it may be time for you to apply to become a representative payee. 


The program is for family members or a trusted loved one to help represent the person receiving those benefits says Public Affairs Specialist Jack Myers.

Becoming a payee will place your name on the Social Security or SSI record and allow you to conduct business with Social Security on behalf of the loved one receiving those benefits. To become this payee, you will have to contact one of your local Social Security offices. 

The money received is still their money to be used for their expenses, but it is your name on file to help that loved one. Becoming the payee while receiving that money does not affect your tax says Myers. 

You can learn more about the representative payee program at www.socialsecurity.gov/payee or call 877-326-0108.

Local Weather - Sponsored By: