Local News

Social Security Name Change Basics

Are you changing your name? If so be sure to change it on your Social Security card as well.


Jack Myers with Social Security indicates that if you have a name change it's important to notify Social Security. Failure to do so may result in problems with your earnings record and collecting benefits from Social Security.



Myers says discrepancies with your name on the Social Security record can potentially cause problems with renewing your Driver's License and filing your taxes.



To change your name on your Social Security card you will need to provide proof of your legal name change such as a marriage document or divorce decree. You will also need to prove your identity with a driver's license or Passport.



Myers advises the service is free so don't pay a third party company to get the name change form for you. The form is available online at www.socialsecurity.gov.

Townhall Top of the Hour News

Local Weather - Sponsored By:


Local News

DeWittDN on Facebook